Thursday, October 28, 2010

Arezzo

I woke up before my alarm went off this morning at 1:15am and managed to find my way downstairs in the dark without bonking my head on the beam that supports the roof. By the time I got the game queued up on the laptop, they were just starting the National Anthem. Perfetto! Although it didn't turn out to be the pitchers duel that it was advertised to be, the result was good. Now.....if we can get just 3 more of those, all will be good.

Judy & I got back to bed at about 5:45am knowing that we had to get up by no later than 8:15 to make our train to Arezzo. It was tough when that alarm went off, but we did it and got to the train station with a few minutes to spare. We were going to Arezzo today to visit one of our oldest family friends, Irene Giannini. She and her late husband, Domenico, were friend of my parents since I was a little pup. Domenico was one of our group of 49er season ticket holders dating back to the Kezar days, along with his brother, Mike, my Dad and me. I last saw Irene 3 years ago when Judy & I were last in Italy, so we were both looking forward to catching up with her.

Arezzo is a small town in Tuscany southeast of Florence about an hour's train ride on the Rapido or an hour & a half on the Regolare. It was once one of the richest towns in Italy due to it being renown for its production of gold jewelry. However, times have changed with the global Recession and the price of gold skyrocketing, this industry is really hurting and Arezzo is feeling the pinch.

We were really glad to see that the sun broke out in full force and was the warmest day we've had yet. The Tuscany countryside with the vineyards and olive trees couldn't have looked nicer. Irene met us at the train station and we walked into town and sat in the square and had a cappuccino. We are turning into real Italians.....even Judy!




After a short stroll through the town, we headed up to the house where Irene lives along with Ivo and some of his family. It is in an incredible spot that has a spectacular view of the town and the surrounding countryside.




Ivo & Irene took us to lunch at a place that we've been to before, La Capannaccia, a real local treasure atop a hill overlooking the town of Arezzo. I remember that my Dad always talked about this restaurant, as it really left a mark on him. The main course is cooked in a hearth over an open fire. Judy had a papardelle con chinghiale and I had a risotto con porcini as a starter. We both had chicken that was cooked in the open hearth and we both agreed that this was possibly the best chicken we've ever eaten. There was not much left on our plates when we were done.



After this wonderful lunch and enjoyable visit with Irene, Judy & I headed back to Firenze. Upon arrival, Judy managed to steer me to and shoe store and then to some other store where I waited outside and people-watched while she was inside. I guess it could've been worse.............she could've made me go in the stores. Anway, it was back to the apartment for a quiet evening and an early bedtime, so we can get another 4 hours of interrupted sleep and, hopefully, the same result as yesterday...........another World Series win!

GO GIANTS!

3 comments:

  1. I'm jealous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Green Maureen, you will be here again soon.......

    ReplyDelete
  3. Judy, hope you got some new Italian shoes to replace the "soiled" ones when you stopped at the shoe store. Keep up the blog while Mark is in his conference next week please. Toodles.
    Annie

    ReplyDelete